What is the Southern Communities Initiative?
A catalytic consortium to accelerate racial equity funding, programming, and outcomes in six southern communities that are home to more than half of African Americans, in ways that are locally-led, measured, and sustained.
SCI acts as a channel partner for corporate and philanthropic organizations to:
- Concentrate and direct investment resources in local initiatives
- Amplify high-impact community organizations and initiatives
- Coordinate across the racial equity ecosystem to break down silos
- Track, evaluate and sustain impact in 6 US southern communities
In corporate and philanthropic racial equity commitments across the U.S. since George Floyd’s murder
SCI partner organizations to date
Black-owned businesses & MBEs to be supported across SCI communities
SCI target communities home to approximately half of the U.S. Black population
Estimated investment needed to support SCI communities’ goals and initiatives
Estimated economic impact after ~10 years
We are focused on four racial equity priorities where this consortium has the ability to drive differential impact
MBE Entrepreneurship and Supplier Diversity
Grow Black-owned and other minority business enterprises (MBEs)
Access to Capital (CDFI/MDI)
Modernize CDFI/MDI systems & technology, hire & train talent and increase CDFI/MDI capacity to issue more capital
Education/HBCU and Workforce Development
Reduce student debt and support high-paying employment opportunities via education/skills training for people of color
Increase access and adoption of affordable high-speed internet solutions for low-income and minority households
Our Community Leads
Examples of how you can support SCI*
Within Specific Communities
Support Grameen America branches
Identify funding and community partners in target cities of Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis to establish a new branch to provide access to capital to ~9K minority women entrepreneurs
- Funding partner to provide $2 million per year to establish each new Grameen America branch (with a minimum 4-year commitment)
- Trusted community partner to market and endorse Grameen branch to drive local participation
- Learn more about Grameen America
Public Database Links
A comprehensive, integrated platform that provides independent and impartial data for public-private cooperation.
Nonprofit database of classroom needs provided by teachers across the country from basic classroom essentials to STEM materials.
* = not exhaustive; please contact us for additional ways you can support SCI